Sunday, December 3, 2017


ASSESSMENT


Recently I practiced using the ARTFUL THINKING MATRIX for the formative assessment of my students' reading comprehension skills as well as critical thinking skills. 

Reasoning is a thinking disposition that we continue to develop in Grade 3. Using routines like "WHAT MAKES YOU SAY THAT?" gives my students an opportunity to describe what they see, think or know and begin to provide some textual or graphic evidence.

Questioning and investigating is another thinking disposition that propels the process of inquiry. Routines like "I Noticed, I WONDER", "CREATIVE QUESTIONS" and "SEE, THINK, WONDER" support my students in developing good questions and making connections to their prior knowledge. My students began to interpret, determine the importance of events as well as distinguish between observations and interpretations.

The above mentioned routines trigger a discussion with students, during which I can see the growth and improvement of my students' thinking skills. It also is a good indication of which students are behind and what kind of support is needed. 

Analyzing the outcomes of the VTRs drives my planning and guides me in my attempts to meet the learning needs of my students the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment