Saturday, December 5, 2015

Writing Poems Is Fun!

After learning a lot about settlements and effectively completing a sorting out activity about positive and negative reasons for building settlements near the waterways, my EAL Gr 3 learners decided to have some fun.

The fun activity that I offered was creating 5 Senses Poems. 

The poem was easy to create because of the scaffold that I prepared at three various levels.

The most advanced students received a worksheet with a poem frame and had to finish each line or change the title and write about any water body they chose to.

The intermediate students were offered not only a  a worksheet with poem frame but also some images to trigger their imagination. 

My beginners received even more support and their scaffold (worksheet) consisted of a poem frame, words to use in their poems and matching images.

All that support ensured a great atmosphere during my class, as all of my students were able to complete the task successfully and enjoyed the creativity of the process.

Here are some  poems created during the last 15 minutes of my FL class.

Johan chose to face all possible challenges.

At the River

I see a little source high in the mountain.
I hear a little stream coming through stones.
I smell a big river with lots of mud.
I taste delicious fish from a big river.
I feel muddy water that I am bathing in.

By Johan

Dyna decided to work with more elements of the scaffold.

At the Seaside

I see people swimming.
I hear waves crashing.
I smell natural things.
I taste some crabs.
I feel the sand.

By Dyna

Sofia and Zereach  and Jade used every feature of the scaffold that was offered.

At the Seaside

I see people.
I hear people talking.
I smell ice-cream.
I taste ice lolly.
I feel happy!

By Zereach

________________________

At the Seaside

I see fish and chips.
I hear waves.
I smell ice-cream.
I taste ice-lolly.
I feel seashells.

By Sofia

_________________________

At the Seaside

I see deck chairs
I hear waves
I smell ice-cream
I taste ice lolly.
I feel sand.

By Jade

Thomas , Minato and Yubin benefited from having words and matching images as some words were unfamiliar for them.

At the Seaside

I see sea shells.
I hear waves.
I smell fish and chips.
I taste ice-cream.
I feel sand.

By Thomas

__________________________

At the Seaside

I see boats.
I hear waves.
I smell chips.
I taste ice-cream.
I feel shells.

By Minato

__________________________

At the Seaside

I see seagulls.
I hear waves.
I smell fish and chips.
I taste ice lolly.
I feel sea shells.

By Yubin
  

No comments:

Post a Comment