Saturday, September 26, 2015

Creating Mini-books with Beginners

This week I had more time with my G3 EAL beginners as some of them were exempted from doing the ISA test. One of the activities that Yubin, Thomas and Minato felt very enthusiastic about was creating mini-books about their families.

To begin with we read an easy book "About Me". After that, using the structure of the book and innovating the story, my students created their own stories about their families. All three of them felt very enthusiastic and eager to share about their families and even the pets they had. Thomas told us about his unusual pets - grasshoppers.

Finally, I recorded my students retelling their "Family Stories". They played this back as a form of self assessment.  This was a learning curve for the students, as at first they shy, then Yubin, Thomas and Minato realized that they could re-tell their stories better and we did it again. This activity was a very successful learning experience for my beginners and Photo Booth helped us make our self-assessment very productive.


No comments:

Post a Comment